Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I am your 9th grade spanish teacher.

Actually, my 9th grade spanish teacher was Sister Ernestine. I look, let's say, nothing like her. Maybe more like Sister Paula, my 12th grade art teacher. I TA'd for her. She was a nun, but not the kind that wore a habit or anything and she definitely rocked the vaguely ethnic, natural fiber sort of look like I'm sporting in this getup. Of course, if I was really going for that, I would have worn a mexican smocked shirt. 

I really liked Sister Paula. She was cool. Come to think of it, I think she is the reason I got scouted by the nuns my senior year in high school. I even went to a sleepover at the convent with a bunch of other girls, complete with a Really Spontaneous Midnight Snack Raid. AWKWARD. Those nuns, whoa, they were trying so hard to be friendly and normal and casual in their curlers and robes, but, you know, no. I felt bad for them. Most of them were pretty nice. Still, I wasn't *really* in the market to become a nun and I eventually had to turn down their invitations to Super Fun Nun Events. Once you've seen Sister Anne Eugene in her jams, it's all downhill.

 Thrifted:
  • Beautiful vintage silk travel scarf (tropical/islandy) $2
  • Red acrylic(!) lucky sweater $7
  • Polyester cross-hatch print shirt $3
  • Woven black belt $2
  • Camel sweater material-ish skirt with poncho fringe $4
  • Bangles $4 (so pretty! see the photo below!)
  • Bead-y necklaces $4
  • Pretty little shell clip-ons, gifted
Not thrifted:
  • T.U.K. black peep-toe platforms $16
  • White undershirt $2
What I would change about this outfit now that I've seen the photo:
  •  I like the colors in this a lot - camel, black, white, mustard, a little aqua, red.
  • And I LOVE this skirt. Comfortable, charming, and a little retro. AND LONG. Especially since it was 54 degrees in San Francisco when I wore this, that extra warmth was a good thing.
  • But. But. The layers up top needed to be more varied. I could have tucked the shirt in, but it still wasn't right. The sweater needed to be shorter I think. 
  • And, don't laugh, I could have used another necklace.
 Total outfit cost: $44

P.S. Bangles! From the top to the bottom...

  • Orangey/gold thick plastic (maybe bakelite?)
  • Etched asian print on black wood
  • Tortoise-shell looking bone (so the flea market lady said, at least)
  • Mustard plastic (maybe bakelite?)

4 comments:

  1. love the skirt and the bangles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is totally a Jenny skirt! Maybe I will give it to you when I've had my fill of it.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this outfit so much! So pretty. If I were a boy, I'd hit on you.
    And Sister Paula. I adored her. She was so not "nunny". And the first time I heard Dire Strait's Sultans of Swing was in her class. Thanks for the memories.
    --Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so rad that you heard sultans of swing for the first time in her class. I wonder whatever happened for her. I remember she told me once about a boyfriend she'd had before becoming a nun and I was astounded that she'd rather be a nun.

      Delete