Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Thrift treasure. But only to me.

I am wearing one of my all-time favorite kind of things: the homemade polyester suit. Well, part of a suit - the shirt and jacket. I'll bet there's a pair of pin-striped polyester pants out there missing its mates. And, get this, I walked into the thrift store and immediately saw the top - bandanna-ish print polyester? Yeah, like I'm gonna pass that up! 15 minutes later, on the other side of the store, I catch a glimpse of a pin-striped jacket and pull it out. It wasn't until I got to the register that I realized I'd scored a pair. Lucky, lucky me.


Oh, I know most people hate polyester - including my style mentor Alice. But I love it so, especially when it was made my someone at home in 1973. And this one is a real find. Very well made. The sewing is pretty on the inside where it doesn't even matter. Metal buttons. Red detail thread on the blue-white parts. Crisp and snappy. Where oh whereever did the previous owner wear it? A church picnic? On a cruise? Hmmm.


Thrifted:

  • Aforementioned shirt and jacket set $7
  • Black full swingy skirt $4
  • Black velvet danglies $1
Not thrifted:
  • Rocket Dog black suede maryjane wedges with a sweet bow $0 onaccountof age
  • Old white headband $0
What I would change about this outfit now that I've seen the photo:
  • I dunno, I think it wants a straight skirt. Or black pedal pushers. 
  • You can't tell in the photo but the shirt was a tad tight in the lady division. Hence, I had what I believe they call a "uniboob." I hate that phrase almost as much as I hate having one. I like the ladies separated. So they don't quarrel with each other.
Total outfit cost: $12. TWELVE DOLLARS SHITFUCKDAMN. I AM THE WORLD'S CHEAPEST SHOPPER. Well. Actually, I had a rushed morning and forgot to put on any other accessories. And it helped that the polyester outfit had it's own belt. So that. STILL.

P.S. Sir C is at the inn this week. Leaving me on my own. I am a little bit lonelytimes. Come over!

No comments:

Post a Comment