Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Dressing for successing

I have a big ol' business conference in town this week so I'm dressing like a business person. Well, my version of a business person. This is what I'm going for:


Kay Thompson as Maggie Prescott, the fashion magazine editor in the movie Funny Face
Audrey Hepburn gets all the attention in this movie because, well, she's fucking breathtaking. But I love Kay Thompson. She's bossy and funny and striking and, because she plays a fashion editor, her clothes are stunning in every scene. Yeah, I know I'd need to grow about two feet and shave off another 50 pounds to come close.


This is my version, over there on the right. Thrifted:
  • Worthington black/white tweedy pencil skirt $4
  • Black knit shirt $4
  • Salmon/pink/reddish jacket $9
  • No Boundaries black patent leather low platform pumps/ankle straps $7
  • Three gold charm bracelets $10
  • Mess-o-pearls $5
  • Pearl/gold clip-ons $2
Not thrifted:
  • My mother's velvet leopard bow $0 (I never ever saw my mother wear this - but I found it after she passed away in one of her many stashes. Darling.)
What I would change about this outfit now that I've seen the photo:
  • I would have liked to wear a snazzier/higher heel but I'm gonna be on my feet til late tonight and these will have to do.
  • I got a lot of compliments today. I think it's that salmon-y color. Ain't nothing wrong with compliments!
Total outfit cost: $41






5 comments:

  1. You are just gorgeous. Aaron says you have an Audrey Hepburn thing going on. High praise indeed. Also, your blog is my "happy time" on the 'puter while I look for work. Thank you.
    BTW, you look better than Kay Thompson 'cause you have curves. She IS stylish, but she looks like she needs to eat a panini.
    --Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie Prescott, is that you?! Have fun at NTC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think pink!

    I love this scene above all others in movie history. I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I am loving how polished yet hip and inventive this outfit is. Very smart!

    The leopard hair bow makes me weak with envy.

    ReplyDelete