Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My mother

Today's get-up was, really, pretty much something my mother would have worn. I think. I have only very vague memories of my mother as a person who dressed up and such (she was in a wheelchair by the time I was in grade school - multiple sclerosis). I have a very distinct vision of my mom standing up with a fitted dress on, a cardigan (!), and a scarf around her neck. This feels like that kind of outfit.


Thrifted:

  • What I thought was a red, white-ish, and black acrylic sweater with brass buttons is actually a red, white-ish, and BLUE acrylic sweater but I still love it...$2
  • Vintage Carol Brent black wool dress $5 
  • Chunky heeled t-straps $5
  • White plastic dangly clipons $1
  • Various necklaces $5
  • Gold-ish belt $2
Not thrifted:
  • Cheap geometric black tights $5
  • White headband $2
What I would change about this outfit now that I've seen the photo:
  • I really love 60s style. My colleague Heather though this looked vaguely like I was a flight attendant and I am not opposed to this, it's true. But try as I might, I don't think I can quite carry it off. It's just too bulky. I need a narrower sweater, a narrower profile on my body. I will be sad to put this rad sweater to pasture but I think I must. Sigh.
Total outfit cost: $27


P.S. As usual, Cotton improves my outfit. I love her so.


1 comment:

  1. You look absolutely adorable. And that picture of you and Cotton . . . swoon.
    --Sue

    ReplyDelete