Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A teeny little roundup to start the year off righty

I love me some ny resolutions. Mostly cuz I love goals any ol' time. Wait. Mostly cuz I love REACHING goals, not just having goals. I am an achievement whore. So, while I have some other goals related to work and the inn and whathaveyou, I have a couple this-here-blawg-appropriate goals:

:: Lose 30 pounds. Some of which I already lost but need to re-lose, dammit. Yes, I'm back on Medifast.

:: Finally, finally, finally get rid of the piles and piles of old clothes that have become a mountain in my house.

:: Focus my thrifting on inn and home needs for the next few months.

:: Sell and/or give away the special clothing items that don't work me.

:: Actually do the couch-to-5k thing I've been threatening to do for about a year now.


**************
This article is not at all surprising but still disconcerting. Particularly:

:: "This translates into a sobering reality: once we become fat, most of us, despite our best efforts, will probably stay fat." Eeek.

:: "...to lose weight and keep it off, a person must eat fewer calories and exercise far more than a person who maintains the same weight naturally." I've always been kind of frustrated at watching slender friends consume delicious food with little or no consequences. Nice to see why in black and white.

:: "...the pace of weight loss is unlikely to make a difference, because the body’s warning system is based solely on how much fat a person loses, not how quickly he or she loses it." Good to know. Lots of people have said slow is better, but, turns out...maybe not.

Truth is, one of the reasons why I delayed losing weight for so long is because of what this article makes clear: maintaining weight loss requires hypervigilance forever. Forever. In other words, I knew that once I started the diet, I'd never, ever be able to get off it. So, there you are. Boo. But also, oh well! It is what it is.

**************
In an as-yet unmatched show of embarrassing narcissism, I have selected my favorite thrift-store-get-ups from 2011. If that sentence doesn't make you want to vomit, then you may vote on your favorite in the poll on my sidebar over there on the right. Why? Hmmm. Well, I am a highly-trained internet consultant and I'm told that interactivity on this here blawg is good. So there you are, go forth and interactivate.

**************
In other and more happifying news: I'm not one for too much selfy-helpy bullshit, but this sounds about right to me. Here's to a happy 2012, friendly friends.

**************
PS. Yes, I will be posting new thrifty outfit photos just as soon as I get back in the swing of the time-consuming daily photo thing.

PPS. It has been suggested that you may want to question Lady Cardigan on issues of style importance. I cannot say that my answers will be helpful or educated, but I do have opinions! Plenty to go around! Email me right here and we'll just see what happens.

4 comments:

  1. Ack you can only vote once and I really want to vote for 2... no wait 3 of them! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Cardigan, I wish you luck with the couch to 5k! I did it and it was fun. I know you can achieve that goal. Also, I read that same NYT article and I had the same reaction you did. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I don't mean to imply by saying "I know you can achieve that goal" that I think you cannot achieve the others, because I believe that you can. Just had a particular reaction to the 5k one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Ti is doing couch to 5K also! Perhaps you can consult with each other. Also, am ridiculously happy to vote on the outfits.
    --Sue

    ReplyDelete