Wednesday, November 30, 2011

This is what people mean when they talk about thrift store clothes

You know how sometimes you pass someone on the street and their outfit just so screams of some particular store? I see Chico's a lot - kinda flowy, vaguely ethnic, braided, dangly things. Or Ann Taylor loft. Tailored, matchy, a little boring but with, like, a violet element. Around these parts, I also see a lot of Berkeley Lady. It's not one particular store (maybe Lilith?). Layers, a little wrinkled. An assymetrical jacket. Shoes that are part elf, part dansko clog. Arty, silver jewelry. Expensive as shit but trying not to look it.

So, I always wonder if people peg me as a thrift store type when I stroll down the street. Maybe, I dunno.

But, this outfit, yeah. This looked like a thrift store.

Thrifted:
  • Brown heavy polyester oversized man blazer $5
  • American Red Cross Field Service t-shirt $2
  • Green plaid straight skirt* $5
  • White tuxedo style shirt $4
  • Brown doc marten's tstraps $5
  • Brown clip ons $1
  • White sheer scarf $1
Not thrifted:
  • White footless tights $5
What I would change about this outfit now that I've seen the photo:
  • White footless tights (leggings? do we call them that?) are kinda ugly.
  • This is not an outfit. It is more like stuff you pull on while running late.
  • I am a little embarrassed to say that I did in fact assemble this outfit the night before.
Total outfit cost: $28

* Are all straight skirts pencil skirts? These are things I do not know. Hmmm.

1 comment:

  1. If you'd just added a belt and done different tights, I think it would've worked just fine! Love those colors on you, btw.

    ReplyDelete