Thursday, November 24, 2011

It's the little things

I feel an obligatory and trite thanksgiving blawg post bubbling out of me and I'm gonna try real hard to keep it down.*

Maybe some dry toast and ginger ale will help keep it down.

Ha ha! I'm vomiting gratefulness!

The True Fact is that I'm not feeling unusually grateful because of the holiday. I'm feeling unusually grateful because, I swear this is true, I feel unusually, painfully, overwhelmingly grateful almost all the freaking time. I wake up grateful for the weight of blankets and sun poking through the curtains - so cozy! I am grateful when I see the city from my bus on my way to work - it's unbelievably lovely! I am grateful when having a glass of wine with a client on the patio at Punchdown in Oakland - gawd, we're lucky! I am grateful when I'm sitting at a conference room table with a bunch of smart people trying to do something good - geez, how did I get this life! I'm grateful reading the sunday nyt with Sir Cardigan at Lanesplitter - pure bliss!

Sometimes, when I'm strolling down the street with pals on any ol' typical day, I can't actually help raising my arms up and doing a little spin, like mary tyler moore. She was just so damn glad to be there in Minneapolis that day, living her life. I totally feel that.

And then, wait for it, I'm grateful that I get to feel grateful. Not everyone sees life through sun-colored glasses y'know.

Good gawd, the gratefulness. It's almost as if I think that if I'm always grateful for every single little thing, I'll get to keep it.

I do think though, that because I am so grateful all the time, I tend to pack every minute of every day with stuff that I dig. Because I don't want to waste my good fortune! I have a responsibility to *really* enjoy it all, do it all, be it all, blah blah blah, because I can.

Of course, I'm grateful for the big things too. Of course. I have the great fortune to have won the world lottery, what with being born here and now and all that. And, naturally, that all feeds the responsibility to be grateful for all the little things too. And so it goes...

Therapy-types - go have a field day with all this! I'm too busy making champagne cocktails, working on my stuffed goat pattern, drinking my delicious coffee in the sunshine, cuddling with my dogs, watching Pieces of April, making pumpkin pancakes for breakfast, etc etc and so on and so forth.

*********
Thrifted:
  • Brown/green/black plaid skirt $6
  • Combat boots $15 (I now have two pairs - one at the inn, one at home(!) (I KNOW. LUCKY.)
  • Monster t-shirt $6
  • Perfect black cardigan $5
  • Black clip-ons $1
Not thrifted:
  • Brown tights $4
What I would change about this outfit now that I've seen the photo:
Total outfit cost: $$37

* Ha ha. NICE TRY LADY CARDIGAN.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lady C...that's actually an incredibly sexy, sultry pic of you there in that there blawg. Lord C must that his lucky stars that he hitched his star to your wagon and that you both go rocketing through the galaxy enjoying things like the coast, the goats, random home-grown fruits and veggies, nice people, people who start out not nice and then BECOME nice after exposure to you, creative accessories, the list is endless. I'm not quite where you are, gratitude wise, but I get that I could have been born and lived in a LOT less auspicious circumstances. So, yeah...it may not be a GRATitude but it's mos def a BIGitude.

    ReplyDelete