Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Anatomy of a uniform

I went to catholic school for twelve years, and I loved the uniform. I mean, I loved wearing any uniform, because it made it possible to dress in five minutes. Oh, and by the time I was a senior and understood the ins and outs of a short plaid skirt, I loved our specific uniform. The skirt, the loafers, the short sleeved white button down. All good.

I still like wearing a uniform. La la la. So easy and happy-making.

It goes like this:
  • Tshirt, generally with something on it. Today, elvis costello purchased at the actual show, duh, remember? $30. I KNOW. Stupid.
  • Skirt. Always. Often girly. This one's a plaid pencil skirt. $4.
  • Tights. Usually. Today, old lacey hole-y tights. $0. Old.
  • Boots, preferably combat or motorcycle. These are my awesome $10 Frye motorcycle boots.
  • Man blazer. Plaid. Or sometimes a cardigan. This one is fantastic, vintage, teal-y blues, maroon and black. $10.
  • Sometimes a belt (usually the kind with rivets or studs). But not today.
  • Depending on my mood, a bunch of jewelry or none. You have to go there or just not. Today, not.
  • I have to mix up patterns. Not a little. A lot. Lace, plaids, print tshirt. Gawd, so effing 80s. Madonna. Y'know.
  • Special addition on this nippy morning: My fingerless gloves, made by Alice.
What I would change about this outfit now that I've seen the photo:
  • Nothing. That's the thing about the uniform. It's always perfect.
  • Although. Let us be honest. There's nothing unusual about the uniform. It's not just MY uniform. It's the uniform of 67% of people in the Bay Area, yeah?
Total outfit cost: Damn rockandroll tshirt. $54. Usually the uniform isn't so spendy.

And now, because I know how much you like endless photographs, here are more examples of the uniform.

Oh wait. You still aren't clear? Yeah, okay. There's more.




2 comments:

  1. Uniforms rock. As do you.
    --Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on about the jewelry. Gotta bring it or stay home.

    ReplyDelete