Friday, August 26, 2011

Cute. Also, super-cute.

Do you ever watch that show called What Not To Wear? I haven't seen much of it, but it's terribly mean and silly except for when it's sweet and good. The latter - basically, only when someone has had bad self-esteem and a makeover helps make the participant lick that shit. The former - about half the episodes, when someone ends up on the show because their wardrobe is deemed inappropriate or juvenile by the hosts. It's so dumb. Who cares how people dress? I saw an episode the other day featuring one of those bleach blonde baywatch type ladies who wore lots of "kitten" heels and "bling" and girly stuff. Not my scene, but she seemed to be in her late 30s and perfectly happy with her look and completely disagreed with the show experts every step of the way. When she had to model her own clothes, she described every item as cute or super cute. And for the life of me, I just didn't get why she ought to be on that show. She was happy! Her look wasn't holding her back! Is there REALLY a right or wrong way to dress? I just don't think there is. Ever, actually.

Now, yeah, when you're young and trying to land a job and you dress, say, in a cape and a nude lace bodysuit for your interview...nope, I'm not gonna hire you. Not because I don't like it. But because it's not appropriate for an interview. In that case, yeah, inappropriateness is possible. But that's about it. Right?

This discussion has nothing to do with today's outfit. BTW.

Thrifted:
  • White J Jill tshirt $4
  • Black bolero sweater with stitching $7
  • Red/pink/green/white floral skirt with green net bow $7
  • "M" necklace $5
  • Black boots $10
Not thrifted: Maybe the socks? Old, though.

What I would change about this outfit now that I've seen the photo:
  • Sweater: cute. Super cute even! But too big for me. Needs to be tighter and a little more va va voom. I think. But I love this sweater!
Total outfit cost: $33

3 comments:

  1. Mads, you nail it about those makeovers of people from individual expression of self into pods.

    The sweater is super cute. Can it be taken in? Can you do something with pins, or hooks to pull it in at the waste? It is adorbs, and I'd hate to see the sweater sit in the closet.

    You'r rocin it as usual, Babe. J Do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the skirt is making me lust. It rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J-Do, I do take lots of things in, but a sweater! I don't know! Never thought of doing so, but I may just try! XO, M.

    ReplyDelete